MENDENHALL HOMEPLACE

Our History

First settled in 1759, the town was laid out (c. 1792) by Richard Mendenhall’s father, George, and was named for George’s father, James.

British Troops camped at Mendenhall Mill and pressed it into service just before the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in March of 1781.

In 1816, Richard Mendenhall was a founding member of the North Carolina Manumission Society, which helped legally free dozens of enslaved people.

The Madison Lindsay House (1817), currently located at Mendenhall Homeplace, was one of the first medical schools in North Carolina.

The Mendenhall Store (c. 1824) and Old Jamestown Meeting House (c. 1812), located in High Point City Lake Park, were built by the Mendenhall family.

Jamestown was peppered with gold mines throughout the 19th century and is home to the McCullough Rock Engine Mill (c. 1833).

Jamestown rifles, prized by collectors, were made by more than 75 gunsmiths during the
19th century.

Jamestown was the cultural, educational, and industrial center of Guilford County before Greensboro and High Point were established.

Jamestown was home to Jamestown Female College (1859-1861), a forerunner of High Point University.